Skip to main content

Why I’m glad that we chose Bethania Lutheran School

I was going to title this post “Why we chose Bethania Lutheran School”, but then I realised that when we chose the school we knew very little about it.  We were living in Edens Landing at the time and I stumbled across this tiny school in the next suburb and I remember loving how green it all was.  I was taken on a tour and it just felt right.  We applied for admission, had an interview with Dr Marks, the principal, and we were in.

We have now been part of the Bethania Lutheran community for almost eight years, since our daughter started Prep.  This year she finishes Grade 7 and although she is very excited to move on to high school, this milestone has caused me to wonder whether we will love our new school as much as we have loved Bethania.  Will I feel like they are part of my team as a parent?  Will they know my daughter almost as well as I do?  Will they care about her almost as much as I do?

There will be many parents in the Bethania/Waterford/Holmview/Edens Landings area looking for a school for Prep next year.  If you have found this blog, I want to tell you why I am glad that we chose Bethania Lutheran School.

Disclaimer: The school did not ask me to write this!  I have written it because the school has helped my family in many ways over the last eight years, and this is my way of repaying the favour.

School Size

One of the things that appeals to me most is the small school size.  We get the personal touch right from the front office, from the teachers, from the grounds staff, from the chaplain, from the librarian, from the sports teacher, and from the principal.

My observation has been that every teacher knows every child.  The principal knows every child.  The children know the principal and the deputy principal personally because they go on camps and spend a lot of time in the playground talking to the kids.

The front office lady, Margaret, knows who I am by name (some might say that is usually not a good thing!)  She knows who my children are and what grades they are in.

The principal and the deputy principal both know me by name.  I have to point out that this is not due to my kids getting in trouble!

The librarian knows who I am when I occasionally drop in, and is happy to lend books to parents.  She also gave me personal recommendations that she thought my son would enjoy based on what he had been reading.

The chaplain, who is also the sports teacher, attends as many of the camps as possible.  He is that fun teacher that the kids all love but is not afraid to be serious with the kids and tell them when they are out of line. 

Dedicated teachers

Bethania has amazing teachers.  The year that my son was diagnosed with Aspergers, he had a teacher who was so patient with him, but also firm enough to help him make a phenomenal amount of progress.  He could have so easily been labelled as “just naughty”.  His teachers since then have also been great about being understanding but firm, which is what he needs.  Another teacher took the time to look into possible options for helping to improve his handwriting.

I don’t know if other parents feel this, but with Bethania I feel like I have this team of people that want to help me to turn my kids in productive, confident and decent human beings.  When I am worried about something that they are doing at home, all I have to do it mention it to their teacher or the chaplain and they are on it.  It is clear that they genuinely care and despite how busy they must be just trying to make it through the curriculum, they take the time to watch over the emotional and mental health of my kids.

Opportunities for leadership

One of the other benefits of a small school is that the kids have a greater chance of being asked to take on leadership roles.  We have school captains, house captains, music captains, and a student council.  I would venture to guess that most of the grade 6 and 7s have some kind of leadership role.  My daughter gets to stand in front of the whole school and open carnivals, lead assemblies, lay memorial wreaths, and meet local politicians.  She is gaining confidence and experience that will help her now and in the future.

Music Program

Bethania has an amazing music program.  I understand that almost 30% of the students are enrolled in the music program.  My daughter takes both piano and voice lessons.  Last night I watched her stand up at the microphone and sing confidently in front of a room full of parents.  She certainly did not get that from me!

When my son started piano lessons I was not sure that he would be able to sit still for the half hour lesson each week.  His piano tutor manages it somehow, and last night I had the opportunity to do a piano duet with him at the semi-annual school music concert.  I was way more nervous than he was!

The music tutors put an enormous amount of effort into these concerts and again the kids are gaining so much confidence from these experiences.

Sports Program

The sports carnivals are so well organised and all of the kids are encouraged to improve on their personal bests, no matter what that might be.

I have watched the sports program grow and change over the last eight years and I am grateful for the opportunities that it has given my children.  The sports teacher has conducted extra training sessions before and after school and this teaches the kids that if they want to improve they need to put in the effort.  Another boy has done very well in the State swimming championships and I know that the sports teacher has put in hours of out-of-school time with this boy.

The kids also get to participate in all kinds of sports in friendly tournaments with LORDS (in Ormeau) and have played not only traditional sports like netball, but also interesting ones like Ultimate Frisbee.  They are taught that being active is fun and the variety of sports allows different kids to shine in different sports.

Academic Support

I have one child that receives academic support through extension work, and one that receives support through an IEP.  As best I can tell, no-one is made to feel “less than” anyone else by attending the academic support services.

No matter what level the children are at, they are encouraged to stretch themselves and work to the best of their ability.  They are encouraged to enter external competitions like ICAS.   My daughter has also attended extra workshops at other schools.

Teaching of values

We are not Lutheran.  To be honest I haven’t done a detailed comparison with their doctrines but I’m sure there are some points that we would not agree on.  However I am so happy that our kids have the opportunity to have Christian values of service, selflessness, honesty, and so many others underlying everything that they do at school.  This term my daughter has been learning about some of the humanitarian issues in Cambodia using information provided by the Australian Lutheran World Service.  I think it is fantastic that they have access to this information and that they are encouraged to foster a sense of responsibility to help those who are in need around the world.

They attend chapel every Friday and sing up-beat songs about Jesus and being a good person – way more up-beat than we have at our services.  I think it is great that they get to experience another religion first-hand and I think the songs help them to keep our common values in mind as they figure out what is important to them.

The local Lutheran congregation offers all kinds of support to the school.  The Worship Centre is used not only for chapel, but for movie nights, school music concerts, and for a fortnightly afternoon activity for the Grade 6 & 7s (BLAYZ).  I can never stay but I believe that they also help with morning teas after chapel.  Pastor Mike is well known in the school and he also knows the kids and many of the families.

My children are not made to feel embarrassed that they have a different religion.  I feel that there is a genuine culture of acceptance at the school.

Commitment to resolve issues

I don’t intend to give the impression that nothing ever goes wrong.  We are all human.  The school has made mistakes.  I have made mistakes.  Thankfully, they have not held them against me or my kids.  Let’s just say I learned the hard way that when something happens at school, I get the story through the eyes of my child only and I’ve learned to assume that there is much more to the story!  I have come to expect the same level of latitude from the teachers who I am sure hear all kinds of stories about what happens in our home.

When I raised concerns about a change that I didn’t like, the acting principal spoke to me the very next day about it (my daughter came running out of school yelling “Mrs Jessen wants to talk to yooouuuu in the office!”).  I was not having a good week at all and had probably made a bigger deal out of it than I needed to, but the acting principal wanted to iron it out quickly.

There are things that I don’t like.  Decisions that I don’t agree with.   Changes that I wish were not necessary.  But I recognise that a school cannot please everyone all of the time and that no matter what, they do everything with the best intentions for the kids.

To sum up


As my daughter rapidly changes from an adorable little girl into a teenager I often look at her and reflect on who she is and how she came to be the person that she is.  I am grateful for the many good influences that she has in her life, including family members, friends and church leaders.  I am certain that the staff at Bethania have been a significant positive influence in her life, and that her experiences at Bethania have given her a solid foundation to allow her to move forward and make a positive contribution to her community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 night cruise around New Zealand on the Dawn Princess

On January 3rd we embarked on our fourth cruise with our friends, the Penney family.  We have known the Penney family since our kids were very young, with our youngest children born only 2 weeks apart. Given some potential medical concerns, we chose a New Zealand cruise as it would have been fairly easy to access high quality health care if needed. This was the first time that the Penneys had cruised. We had previously done two P&O cruises to Vanuatu and New Caledonia, and a Disney cruise from Florida to the Caribbean.  This time we were cruising with Princess on the Dawn Princess. Comparison of Cruise Lines It was interesting to note the differences between the ships.  We found that the P&O ships had a much younger demographic, with a party atmosphere and an emphasis on the nightlife.  The Disney cruise of course had a heavy family focus. We found the ship, the service, the shows and the theming to be exceptional on the Disney cruise but did not particularly like

The day that both broke and warmed my heart – 15 Jan 2011

Yesterday I cried all the way home from Fairfield to Windaroo. My home was well away from the floods. I hadn’t lost anything except my naïve assumptions about the damage a flood can do. But I couldn’t hold back the emotion. As the flood waters receded, we knew that we had to do something to help those affected by the Brisbane floods. Thousands of homes had been inundated by flood waters and they were saying on TV and on the internet that an army of volunteers was needed. I arranged for my Mum to come and watch the kids for the day, packed the car with brooms, shovels, mops, buckets, water and other cleaning supplies, and set off to try to “do some good”. My brother in law and his wife had friends on a street in Fairfield whose house had been submerged up to just under their roof, so they sent me the address and I headed for Fairfield. I was nervous as I didn’t know what to expect. As I drove under the overpass at Mt Gravatt I saw a huge line of volunteers over the bridg

Adventures in Parenting

We decided that something we had to address with the kids was the fact that Reid was sleeping on Megan's floor on a mattress every night, which meant that neither of them were getting enough sleep. So I took the mattress out of her room one day and hid it in my cupboard, and told Reid he could sleep in his room or the spare room, just not Megan's room. When it came down to it, the only way to get Reid to sleep in a separate room was to lay down in bed with him until he fell asleep. For a few weeks now that's what we've been doing. Overall it is working. Reid is sleeping in a different room, and Megan is getting more sleep. This plan has it's disadvantages though. For one, most nights it's pretty even odds who is going to fall asleep first - him or me. A few nights I have woken up at 9:30pm to find him finally asleep next to me. How I fall asleep I don't know because Reid going to sleep is like a dog going to sleep - how they get up and down and turn a