Skip to main content

The joys of motherhood

So it's parent information evening at Megan's school and Dallas has interviews, so it's me and the kids going to an evening where we are actually supposed to be able to hear the teacher talking. I expected disaster but not in the form it eventually took.

Before we left we put their pj's on, brushed their teeth, and packed a bag full of activities to keep them moderately quiet for an hour. Everyone went to the toilet and off we went.

When we arrived, knowing my children well I asked if they needed to go to the toilet again. Of course they didn't. There was a power point presentation shining up on the wall, so Reid got excited that we were going to get to watch a movie.

We started reasonably well, with Reid doing some drawing and Megan looking at books. Then Reid found the sticky tape dispensers and started pulling out bits and squishing them together. I moved those away from him.

Then the power point presentation started, during which Reid interrupted every 30 seconds to ask when the movie was going to start.

For the next fifteen minutes he walked in circles between the chairs and the bookshelf, choosing a book, asking me to read it, then putting it back. Then he stopped at the bookshelf and one of the other mums told me he was looking at a puzzle. Then I start to hear a loud whisper - "MUM", "COME HERE". He refused to come out from the behind the bookshelf and I started to worry. I went over to find out what he's done, and in find out that in front of Megan's teacher and all of the other parents, Reid has messed his pants and absolutely stinks.

I scribbled a note to the teacher and coaxed him out of the corner and across the entire classroom to escape. None of the toilets were open, and of course I didn't have any spare clothes for him. He's been toilet trained for ages so I don't carry wipes anymore. Lucky there was a rag in the back of the car that he could sit on.

To top off my evening, as I'm driving home, a whopping great huge huntsman spider starts to scuttle across my windscreen - on the INSIDE. I tried not to freak out so I wouldn't scare the kids, and by the time I pulled into the driveway and leaped out of the car, the nasty thing was sitting on my window inches from my face.

So we are home, the clothes are soaking, and I am horribly embarrassed. All in the day of a mother I guess.

On the positive side, Reid went underwater at swimming for the first time ever today! That is a big achievement for him, as we've endured many hours of screaming in the name of learning to swim.

Comments

  1. Good times Cassie. It does get better, I promise. Although the headaches do take different forms. But at least they won't be stinky. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and laughed!! The best and definetly the worse times with little kids - I am jealous you are moving up mine just seems to be starting! Sorry it was such a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

13 night cruise around New Zealand on the Dawn Princess

On January 3rd we embarked on our fourth cruise with our friends, the Penney family.  We have known the Penney family since our kids were very young, with our youngest children born only 2 weeks apart. Given some potential medical concerns, we chose a New Zealand cruise as it would have been fairly easy to access high quality health care if needed. This was the first time that the Penneys had cruised. We had previously done two P&O cruises to Vanuatu and New Caledonia, and a Disney cruise from Florida to the Caribbean.  This time we were cruising with Princess on the Dawn Princess. Comparison of Cruise Lines It was interesting to note the differences between the ships.  We found that the P&O ships had a much younger demographic, with a party atmosphere and an emphasis on the nightlife.  The Disney cruise of course had a heavy family focus. We found the ship, the service, the shows and the theming to be exceptional on the Disney cruise but did not particularly like

The day that both broke and warmed my heart – 15 Jan 2011

Yesterday I cried all the way home from Fairfield to Windaroo. My home was well away from the floods. I hadn’t lost anything except my naïve assumptions about the damage a flood can do. But I couldn’t hold back the emotion. As the flood waters receded, we knew that we had to do something to help those affected by the Brisbane floods. Thousands of homes had been inundated by flood waters and they were saying on TV and on the internet that an army of volunteers was needed. I arranged for my Mum to come and watch the kids for the day, packed the car with brooms, shovels, mops, buckets, water and other cleaning supplies, and set off to try to “do some good”. My brother in law and his wife had friends on a street in Fairfield whose house had been submerged up to just under their roof, so they sent me the address and I headed for Fairfield. I was nervous as I didn’t know what to expect. As I drove under the overpass at Mt Gravatt I saw a huge line of volunteers over the bridg

Adventures in Parenting

We decided that something we had to address with the kids was the fact that Reid was sleeping on Megan's floor on a mattress every night, which meant that neither of them were getting enough sleep. So I took the mattress out of her room one day and hid it in my cupboard, and told Reid he could sleep in his room or the spare room, just not Megan's room. When it came down to it, the only way to get Reid to sleep in a separate room was to lay down in bed with him until he fell asleep. For a few weeks now that's what we've been doing. Overall it is working. Reid is sleeping in a different room, and Megan is getting more sleep. This plan has it's disadvantages though. For one, most nights it's pretty even odds who is going to fall asleep first - him or me. A few nights I have woken up at 9:30pm to find him finally asleep next to me. How I fall asleep I don't know because Reid going to sleep is like a dog going to sleep - how they get up and down and turn a